Every Scar Tells a Story

This blog is an unexpected one really as I've never planned on sharing my scar on blogger before, but when I looked back at the full length photograph of my scar that my Mum had taken, I realised what an eye-catching photo it was and thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. So here I am, showing off my 14 inch spinal scar that I've had since I was 13 years old due to needing a spinal fusion to correct an aggressive double curve. As you can see, I was cut open from my neck to my waist but luckily I was left with a very neat scar. The protruding hardware that you can see poking it's way through my skin is more noticable than the actual scar and that's because the bolts & screws are looser than they should be, but that can't be altered now. 

I've never shared my scar publicly before because it's not really seen as a popular thing to do, but I don't care. I'm not a follower and I won't keep it hidden to please others. I will show it off & I will do so with pride because I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of having it. I'm proud of my scar because it tells a story. It tells my story, the story of the 13 year old girl I once was, who endured and survived a 10 hour spinal operation. My scar shows that my strength was tested, and it also shows that I overcame a terribly challenging time. It's a sign of my bravery & I'll never be bothered by the fact that I have a large scar down my back. I just see it as part of who I am. I accepted it a long time ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shifted Out Of My Seat!

Awareness amongst healthcare professionals (Feb 22)

Digestive disarray part 2